Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Spicy Sausage Pasta


I love an easy one pot meal - this one was technically two dishes since I don't have an oven safe skillet.  

Thursday night, before we left for Arizona I wanted something quick and easy that wasn't going to make a mess for me to come home to.  I had a few leftover andouille chicken sausages to use up, and this recipe uses basic pantry items - it's the perfect quick fix.

I found this recipe here but I changed it a little bit


Easy Peasy




Ingredients
1 pkg smoked chicken sausage
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14 oz) can of diced Italian tomatoes (I used Oregano and Garlic flavor)
1/2 cup heavy cream
12 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded



      Slice up your sausages while you heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
Add them to the hot oil and sauté for about 6 minutes until they start to brown, add 2 cloves of diced garlic and cook about a minute more until you start to smell the garlic (exact science here )
Next, dump in 12 oz of dried pasta, easy right? ( I used whole wheat rotini but any short cut pasta will work )
This is where I changed the original recipe, it calls for a 10 oz can of rotel but I used a can of Italian diced tomatoes that I slightly drained (14 oz size). So you dump that in with ½ cup heavy cream and 2 cups of chicken broth.  Stir it altogether and season with salt and pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
I transferred mine at this point to an 8x8 Pyrex dish and then stirred in about ¾ cup of freshly grated cheese (I used Spanish manchego but the recipe calls for Monterey Jack, I’m convinced you could switch this up to suit many different tastes).  Add the rest of the cheese on top and broil until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment